New business model for fair and sustainable Open Access publishing
The EMS Press – the publishing house of the European Mathematical Society, is pleased to announce the successful conversion of all 10 of out of its S2O journals programme to open access for the whole of 2021. Further details can be found here. The team has now launched its 2022 round with 17 titles from their portfolio – the complete list can be found below.
No barriers to publication
EMS Press has made the decision to transition its portfolio of journal titles to Open Access. In making this decision, it was agreed that the society could not support a model that may present barriers to publication, and as such any model relying on APCs would not be suitable. Through rigorous analysis of the various remaining options available to the Press, EMS have elected to pursue a Subscribe to Open (S2O) business model.
S2O is a sustainable and equitable model for open access. Libraries continue to subscribe to journals for the coming year, as they always have (with the usual subscriber benefits, such as archive access). At the end of the current year if a journal has achieved the target set by the Press then that journal becomes open access – if not then it remains behind a paywall and only subscribers have access. Where there is a funder requirement for open access EMS Press will publish articles under Green Open Access, ensuring that the article is freely available regardless of the overall journal status.
Subscribe guarantees access
The only way to guarantee access to any of the Press’s journals is to subscribe, and doing so has the added effect if flipping titles to open access once a threshold is achieved, benefitting the whole mathematics research community.
Open access content provided through the Subscribe To Open (S2O) programme is done so under the CC-BY 4.0 license. Please view the Terms of Digital Access for the repository policy.
S2O has clear benefits for all participants in the publishing ecosystem.
For the subject librarian:
- Retain control of budgets and collection;
- Administratively, subscriptions operate as before but now support OA;
- Guaranteed access to journal content when subscribing (including full archive), regardless of outcome.
For the researcher:
- No APCs or other financial barriers to publication;
- Publish where you choose, not where your institution has a deal;
- Support an equitable system for all researchers based on relevance and quality, not cost.
For the publisher
- Streamlined administrative processes, reducing internal costs allowing focus to be on content;
- Support OA in a truly sustainable way;
- Support global equity in scholarly publishing.
Journals included in EMS Press’s 2022 S2O Programme are:
- Annales de l’Institut Henri Poincaré C (AIHPC)
- Annales de l’Institut Henri Poincaré D (AIHPD)
- Commentarii Mathematica Helvetici (CMH)
- Elemente der Mathematik (EM)
- EMS Surveys in Mathematical Sciences (EMSS)
- Groups, Geometry, and Dynamics (GGD)
- Interfaces and Free Boundaries (IFB)
- Journal of Combinatorial Algebra (JCA)
- Journal of the European Mathematical Society (JEMS)
- Journal of Fractal Geometry (JFG)
- Journal of Noncommutative Geometry (JNCG)
- Journal of Spectral Theory (JST)
- Mathematical Statistics and Learning (MSL)
- Memoirs of the European Mathematical Society (MEMS)
- Portugaliae Mathematica (PM)
- Quantum Topology (QT)
- Revista Matemática Iberoamericana (RMI)
This article first appeared on EMS Press website.