The closing ceremony of the International Year of Basic Sciences for Sustainable Development will be held at the new Science Gateway building at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland, and online.
To facilitate the organization, for in person participation, please register through the Indico page of the event.
Do not register if you plan to follow online.
8:30 – Welcoming of participants
9:00 – Introduction – Master of ceremony: Anna Cook, CERN
9:05 – A Call for Action from Young Academies
Hiba Baroud, Global Young Academy & Vanderbilt University, Nashville, USA: Reaffirming the Role of Fundamental Sciences in Achieving Sustainable Development through Enhanced and Equitable Support of Fundamental Research and Early- to Mid-Career Researchers
9:10 – Keynote talks
– Carthage Smith, OECD, Paris – Science for global needs and the future research workforce
– Heidi Prozesky, Stellenbosch University, South Africa – Supporting the next generation of scientists in Africa: Key findings from a multi-country study
10:10 – Coffee Break
10:40 – Panel discussion: What can be done so that science is better taken into account in policy making?
– Javier Garcia Martinez, IUPAC, Academia Joven España, Spain
– Ruth Morgan, University College London, United Kingdom
– Felix Moronta, ICGEB, Trieste, Italy
– Hussam Hussein, Royal Scientific Society, Jordan
Moderator: Cyrus Walther, International Association of Physics Students & CODATA
11:40 – Panel discussion: What should be done so that research practices and science are better aligned with the SDGs?
– Zhang Wei, Hefei Institutes of Physical Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
– Carlo d’Ippoliti, University of Rome, La Sapienza, Italy
– Devina Lobine, JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Mauritius
– Franco Cabrerizo, CONICET-UNSAM, TWAS-Young Affiliates Network
Moderator: Marian Asantewah Nkansah, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Ghana
12:45 – Lunch
14:00 – Welcome addresses
Master of ceremony: Anna Cook, CERN
– Fabiola Gianotti, Director General, CERN
– Eliezer Rabinovici, President of the CERN Council
– Luther Castillo Harry, Secretary of State for Science, Technology, and Scientific Innovation, Republic of Honduras (tbc)
– Audrey Azoulay, Director General, UNESCO (video)
14:30 – Why was this International Year important in different parts of the world?
– Arles Rodriguez, Colombian Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences
– Shaobo Fang, Chinese Academy of Sciences
– Aba Bentil Andam, Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences
– Patrick Flandrin, French Academy of Sciences
Moderator: Pavel Kabat, HFSPO
15:20 – A Call for Action from Early Career Scientists
Hiba Baroud, Global Young Academy & Vanderbilt University, Nashville, USA
15:30 – From the International Year of Basic Sciences for Sustainable Development to the International Decade of Sciences for Sustainable Development
– Csaba Kőrösi, President of the 77th session of the United Nations General Assembly
– Jelena Begović, Minister of Science, Technological Development and Innovation of the Republic of Serbia (tbc)
– Lidia Brito, Assistant Director General, Natural Sciences, UNESCO
– Vanessa McBride, Science Director, International Science Council
– Carlos Alvarez Pereira, Vice-President, Club of Rome
16:00 – Closing talk
Michel Spiro, Chair of the Steering Committee of IYBSSD, President of IUPAP
16:30 – Cocktail – visit of CERN – visit of the Science Gateway