The ‘2022 International Congress of Mathematicians’ (ICM) billed to take place in Saint Petersburg, will now hold virtually, outside Russia, between the 6th and 14th of July, 2022.
Sequel to a meeting it held on 26 February 2022, the Executive Committee of the International Mathematical Union (IMU) have decided that the International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM) 2022 billed to take place in Saint Petersburg, Russia, will now take place as a fully virtual event.
It will be hosted outside Russia, but following the original time schedule planned for Saint Petersburg.
The IMU Executive Committee also decided that:
- Participation in the virtual ICM event will be free of charge.
- The IMU General Assembly (GA) will take place as an in-person event outside Russia.
- A prize ceremony will be held the day after the IMU GA, at the same venue as the IMU GA, for the awarding of the 2022 IMU prizes.
- The dates for the ICM and the GA will remain unaltered.
- We will return with further practical information regarding the two events.
The decision was communicated to members in an official statement which can be viewed here. A further statement from the Executive Committee was sent to members on 27 February 2022 confirming that:
- The IMU General Assembly and the ICM will be conducted without any financial contribution from the Russian Government.
- No official or representative of the Russian Government will be part of the organization or activities of the ICM.
- All mathematicians are welcome to participate in the activities of the ICM.
- ICM satellite conferences are and have always been outside the purview of the IMU.
This announcement was first published by IMU.