Examining how SDGs 6 and 14 could be achieved.
To avoid recurrent discussions, legal definitions, as well as the motivations related to the circumstantial politics that birthed the International Mission of Wise Men and Women, the working group will concentrate its focus on three main aspects:
- To recognize that International Mission is a significant effort to bring knowledge to society, so the proposals and guidelines where this benefit is explicit will be highlighted;
- An emphasis will be placed on disseminating the proposals, many of which are scattered throughout the document, so that they can be strategically prioritized;
- Work will be done on how to implement proposals through research innovation oriented by missions and challenges. The group found that many of the proposals would benefit from open innovation strategies that were not developed in the volume.
Aligning policies with SDGs
Among the legal and policy issues, the following should be noted: with the purpose to avoid confusion, interpretations, and inappropriate decisions, the group propose to review the current definition of the concept of “hydrobiological resources” from both the strictly scientific and legal points of view.
- It is possible to reach an articulation between the “Fishing Authority” and the “Environmental Authority”, represented in this case by the Institutes of the National Environmental System – SINA without a conflict of interest for any of the parties.
- It is important to ensure the necessary financing to consistently achieve the objectives, goals and challenges for the sustainable development of the country.
- Likewise, there must be a clear, integrated and well articulated plan by all the ministries and attached entities with concrete actions for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Objectives.
- CONPES 3990, Colombia Potencia Bioceánica Sostenible 2030, recognizes the development potential represented by the oceans as an engine of growth and equity, taking advantage of the country’s strategic location between the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.
- Emphasis must be paid to the close relationship between seas and rivers and other water resources for the country.
- Greater support for aquaculture-related research is necessary to achieve full environmental, social and economic sustainability. Bioprospecting and biotechnology have a great opportunity for growth, it would be ideal to have an expansion of resources to finance commercial initiatives such as spin-offs and other strategies to facilitate the transfer of knowledge and ensure that researchers are closely connected to the needs of different sectors, so that through properly funded research it is possible to generate relevant solutions to gaps or problems clearly identified, and thus advance the possibilities of resource conservation and at the same time achieve greater competitiveness.
To be continued.
This series of posts is about the “Mission of wise men and women” follow up that has been made by working groups convened by the Colombian Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences. More information can be found (in Spanish) on the Academy website.