The application portal for the intake of new Individual Members and Junior Members of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) is now open.
Applications are now open for the intake of new Individual Members and Junior Members of the IAU. The timelines for application submission, review and admission run concurrently for Individual and Junior Members.
IAU Individual Membership
Eligible candidates for IAU Individual Membership are professional scientists conducting research that is directly related to astronomy. Those researchers admitted as IAU Members by the Executive Committee will be affiliated to at least one Division.
IAU Junior Membership
Eligible candidates for IAU Junior Membership are junior scientists in the initial phase of a research career with the prospect of becoming a professional researcher in astronomy. For this round of applications, candidates must have completed their PhD studies in any field of astronomy between 2016 and 2021. Admission by the Executive Committee as a Junior Member will be for a maximum period of six years.
Junior Members must indicate at least one Division they wish to join. They can join Commissions and Working Groups according to the same rules as Individual Members. Previously they could not hold office within the scientific bodies, except in Commissions or Working Groups specifically established for Junior Members. However, the Executive Committee has modified this Working Rule such that Junior Members can now take up any role in any Working Group and they can hold office in the OC of any Commission, but not as Commission President or Vice President, except in Commissions specifically established for Junior Members.
It is understood that, given the expected high mobility of Junior Members, their confirmation or the proposal to become a regular Individual Member may be submitted by a National Member who was not the first proposer.
The timeline for the 2021–2022 application reviewal and admission of Individual and Junior Membership is as follows:
- 1 October 2021: invitation to the Presidents of the IAU National Committee for Astronomy (NCA) or Adhering Organisation (AO) (whichever applies) and Division Presidents (whenever there is no NCA or AO) to contact their national community or prospective candidates asking to submit applications for IAU Membership.
- 15 December 2021: deadline to accept applications for IAU Membership. Late proposals will not be taken into consideration.
- 15 February 2022: deadline for the respective NCAs and Adhering Organisations to review applications and to send the General Secretary the lists of proposed candidate IAU Members together with the relevant referees’ assessments. These lists will subsequently be reviewed by the Membership Committee.
- 31 March 2022: deadline for the Membership Committee to review the lists of proposed candidate IAU Members and to send the General Secretary the final list of proposed IAU Members.
- April 2022: the final list of proposed IAU Members will be submitted to the Executive Committee for approval during its meeting in April 2021.
- May 2022: accepted IAU Individual and Junior Members announced.
This membership call was first shared by IAU.