The Global Young Academy (GYA) has launched a call for new members. And the deadline for applications is 15 September 2022.
Applications are sought from young, independent scholars who combine the highest level of research excellence with a demonstrated passion for delivering impact.
The call for applications encourages scholars from all backgrounds. You can read below some of the key criteria:
- Research: The call is open to all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the natural, physical and social sciences, as well as the arts and humanities.
- Excellence: Applicants must be able to demonstrate a high level of excellence in their discipline, ascertained by a proven track record and expected future achievements. Moreover, applicants must demonstrate a clear commitment to making a difference in society. PhD or equivalent is a requirement for applicants.
- Impact: The GYA is committed to a broad range of programmes around the world to support young scholars, promote science to a broad audience, engage in policy debate, and foster international and interdisciplinary collaboration. Applicants should provide evidence of interest or experience in one or more of these areas.
- Age/career point: Applicants should be in the early to middle years of their independent careers, i.e. approximately 7 years from PhD and aged 30-40. Applicants falling outside these ranges are still invited to send their applications with a justification for why they should be considered.
- Expectations: Each GYA member is expected to attend the GYA Annual General Meeting each year and is also expected to actively contribute to one or more of the organisation’s programmes, which include participation in policy development, promotion of National Young Academies, supporting science outreach and education at the national and international levels, and the young scientist ambassador programme. The GYA is an active organisation, and being a member requires a time commitment on each member’s part. In the event that applicants are selected as new GYA members, they should be available to attend the next Annual General Meeting, which is scheduled for 5 June – 9 June 2022 (already held) in Rwanda.
To learn more about the application process, visit this page.
About Global Young Academy
The GYA develops, connects and mobilises young talent from six continents, and empowers young researchers to lead international, interdisciplinary and intergenerational dialogue. The GYA aims to elevate the voice of young scientists in evidence-informed and inclusive global, regional and national decision making.
ALLEA and the GYA started a strategic partnership in 2020 to capitalise on the diverse expertise and experience of both organisations.
ALLEA first published this story.