The International Mineralogical Association will celebrate mineralogy throughout the world in 2022. These celebrations will be within IYBSSD 2022.
2022 will be the bicentennial of the death of René Just Haüy (born 1743) who is a father of modern mineralogy and crystallography. 1822 is also when Haüy’s Traité de minéralogie and Traité de cristallographie were published.
Overviews and significance
Min2022 is intended to be a worldwide celebration of this discipline to highlight its importance in our everyday lives. Mineralogy is one of the oldest branches of science, it has played a key role in the deciphering of the structure of matter and in the development of science and technology.
The major objectives of Min2022 are:
- to generate public interest for the science of matter and how it underpins most innovations and developments in our modern society;
- through the fascination of natural crystals to attract young people to science;
- to illustrate the universality of science;
- to intensify the emergence of mineralogical societies in developing countries where ressources are exploited;
- to foster international collaboration between scientists worldwide, especially by building North–South networks and South-South collaborations;
- to promote education and research in mineralogy, crystallography and their links to other sciences;
- to increase public awareness of the importance of natural resources.
More informations in following posts and on IMA website.