The GYA membership call for 2022 is open now. Please submit your application before 15 September 2021, 18.00 (6 pm) UTC.
Applications are sought from young, independent scholars who combine the highest level of research excellence with a demonstrated passion for delivering impact.
The GYA is a global organisation that places a high value on its diversity. Applications from all qualified candidates are encouraged.
All applicants receive consideration and will not be discriminated against with regard to race, colour, ethnicity, religion, creed, sex, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disabilities, or other factors.
Women and applicants from different minority groups, and from diverse disciplines including the natural, physical and social sciences as well as the arts and humanities and people working in government, industry, and non-governmental sectors to apply are especially encouraged to apply.
- Research fields: The call is open to all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the natural, physical and social sciences, as well as the arts and humanities.
- Excellence: Applicants must be able to demonstrate a high level of excellence in their discipline, ascertained by a proven track record and expected future achievements. Moreover, applicants must demonstrate a clear commitment to making a difference in society. PhD or equivalent is a requirement for applicants.
- Impact: The Global Young Academy is committed to a broad range of programmes around the world to support young scholars, promote science to a broad audience, engage in policy debate, and foster international and interdisciplinary collaboration. Applicants should provide evidence of interest or experience in one or more of these areas.
- Age/career point: Applicants should be in the early to middle years of their independent careers, i.e. approximately 7 years from PhD and aged 30-40. Applicants falling outside these ranges are still invited to send their applications with a justification for why they should be considered.
- Expectations: Each GYA member is expected to attend the GYA Annual General Meeting each year and is also expected to actively contribute to one or more of the organisation’s programmes, which include participation in policy development, promotion of National Young Academies, supporting science outreach and education at the national and international levels, and the young scientist ambassador programme. The GYA is an active organisation, and being a member requires a time commitment on each member’s part. In the event that applicants are selected as new GYA members, they should be available to attend the next Annual General Meeting, which is scheduled for 13 June – 17 June 2022 in Japan.
Applications should be completed personally by the candidate and must be accompanied by a letter of support. Completing the application takes about 30 minutes, the form can be saved at any time and processed later. So that you can prepare well, you can find here essay questions in advance as a download.
Applicants are also encouraged to contact the GYA members/alumni who are from their country/region for further information on the GYA activities, working groups and any other questions which can help with application process. You can find members and alumni list along their contact details on the GYA website. In general, you are welcome to ask all questions to the GYA Office.
This post has first been published by GYA.