“National focus for Israeli scholars in the natural sciences and in the humanities”
Chartered by law in 1961, the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities acts as a national focal point for Israeli scholarship in both the natural sciences and the humanities. The Academy membership consists of 131 of Israel’s most distinguished scientists and scholars, who, with the help of the Academy’s staff and committees, monitor and promote Israeli intellectual excellence, advise the government on scientific planning, fund and publish research of lasting merit, and maintain active contact with the broader international scientific and scholarly community.
The Israel Academy is divided into two sections, for the natural sciences and for the humanities & social sciences, which share equal responsibility in conducting the Academy’s affairs.
As stated in the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities Law, the goals of the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities are:
- to enlist as its members distinguished scholars and scientists resident in Israel;
- to cultivate and promote scholarly and scientific endeavor;
- to advise the government on activities relating to research and scientific planning of national significance;
- to maintain contact with parallel bodies abroad;
- to ensure the representation of Israeli scholarship and science at international institutions and conferences;
- to publish writings calculated to promote scholarship and science;
- to engage in any other activity intended to serve the aforesaid objectives.
- President: Nili Cohen
- Vice President: David Harel
- Past President: Ruth Arnon
- Director General: Galia Finzi