“The Ethiopian Academy of Sciences aims to be a premium organization in the development of scientific culture and scholarship in Ethiopia, through which sustainable quality of life can be attained.”
The Ethiopian Academy of Sciences is an autonomous, non-profit, non-governmental organization established in March 2010 by a group of prominent scholars who wish to promote the sciences and bring about development, prosperity and improved health services for the peoples of Ethiopia. The Academy aims to advance the development of all the sciences, including the natural sciences, mathematics, the health sciences, agricultural sciences, engineering, social sciences, humanities, fine arts and letters.
The Academy is committed to assist in the national development agenda and to advance the natural and cultural heritage of the nation. As an important partner to the government, it involves relevant government institutions, ministries, universities and other organizations in its effort to achieve its goals.
The Ethiopia Academy of Sciences strives to foster scientific culture and innovation and advance the knowledge of the sciences, arts and indigenous knowledge.
The Ethiopian Academy of Sciences core values are:
- Tolerance, respect for diversity and equality;
- High ethical standards and impartiality;
- Merit-based decisions and recommendations;
- Intellectual integrity and originality;
- Institutional independence.
The main objectives of the Academy are:
- Stimulate the development of problem solving technologies and research, knowledge of applied sciences, social sciences, art, indigenous knowledge and innovative thinking that help to improve quality of life;
- Advise the government on science and socio-economic issues;
- Enhance scientific researches on areas of special importance with the active involvement of Ethiopian scholars from all disciplines;
- Create a network among Ethiopian scholars and science and art community around the world;
- Exalt the works of Ethiopian scholars for the world community;
- Create appropriate channels to disseminate major findings in all disciplines;
- Sustain the active engagement and benefits of women and other underprivileged and marginalized groups in all scientific works.
- President: Tsige Gebre-Mariam
- Principal Vice President: Zenebeworke Tadesse
- Vice President: Sileshi Lulseged
- Executive Secretary: Ageredech Kebede