“The Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei aims to promote, coordinate, integrate and disseminate scientific knowledge in its highest expression within the framework of the unity and universality of culture.”
Founded in 1603, the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei is the oldest scientific academy worldwide. The Academy is composed of two classes: The Physical, Mathematical and Natural Sciences Class and the Social Sciences and Humanities Class. Its mission is to promote, coordinate, integrate and disseminate scientific knowledge in its highest expressions within the framework of the unity and universality of culture.
To this end, the Academy:
- holds assemblies and meetings of the joint or individual Academy Classes;
- organizes national and international conferences, workshops, seminars and lectures;
- participates, through its Members, in Italian and foreign events and is represented in various international academy networks;
- promotes research activities and missions;
- awards prizes and scholarships;
- publishes reports from the various Lincei Committees as well as the proceedings of conferences, workshops, seminars and other initiatives promoted by the Academy;
- provides – upon request and also on its own initiative – science-based and policy advice to public institutions.
The Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei also acts as the scientific advisory body to the President of the Italian Republic.
- President: Giorgio Parisi
- Vice President: Roberto Antonelli
- Director General: Angelo Cagnazzo