“Stimulating and co-ordinating, on an international basis, studies, research, applications, scientific exchange, and communication in the fields of radio science”
Radio science encompasses the knowledge and study of all aspects of electromagnetic fields and waves.
The International Union of Radio Science (Union Radio-Scientifique Internationale), a non-governmental and non-profit organisation under the International Science Council, is responsible for stimulating and co-ordinating, on an international basis, studies, research, applications, scientific exchange, and communication in the fields of radio science.
Included within the objectives are the following:
- To encourage and promote international activity in radio science and its applications, for the benefit of humanity;
- To encourage the adoption of common methods of measurement, and the intercomparison and standardisation of the measuring instruments used in scientific work;
- to stimulate and co-ordinate studies of:
- the scientific aspects of telecommunications using electromagnetic waves, guided and unguided;
- the generation, emission, radiation, propagation, reception, and detection of fields and waves, and the processing of the signals embedded in them.
- to represent radio science to the general public, and to public and private organisations.
- President: Piergiorgio Uslenghi
- Past President: Makoto Ando
- Secretary General: Peter Van Daele