“An effective and large-scale science promotion, popularization, research and development, innovation platform”
Gujarat Council on Science & Technology (GUJCOST), Gandhinagar, India, working under the aegis of the Department of Science & Technology, Govt of India and Govt of Gujarat, is an effective and large-scale science promotion, popularization, research and development, innovation platform in the state with hands-on programmes and minds-on exposures on the cutting-edge of Science, Technology and Innovation.
For creation of Research and Development culture in the state, GUJCOST has prepared the Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) Policy of the Gujarat which has been approved by the Government of Gujarat. Under STI Policy, GUJCOST is supporting the R&D in the frontier areas of Science & Technology for the benefits of the state and nation.
GUJCOST has designed a series of innovative programmes and outreach activities for different target groups for inspiring curiosity for life-long learning.
- To promote and popularize science and technology to strengthen the scientific temperament, scientific attitude among the people of the State.
- To identify areas in which S&T can be utilized for the achievement of the socio-economic objectives of the State and in particular, its objectives of tackling of the problems of backwardness, unemployment and poverty and of addressing itself to the problems of the rural area, and under privileged sections of society.
- To devise Policy guidelines for academic and field policies for the purpose of strengthening the planning and programming amenities for the development of S&T.
- To encourage R&D activities in various sectors by monitoring the development and by feeding available information.
- To identify priority areas of S &T needed for long term development of the State and Nation.
- To establish and assist in the development of necessary infrastructure (institutions, organizations etc.) to achieve the aforesaid objectives.
- To identify thrust areas in which available Scientific and Technological knowledge can be utilized.
- To assist in organizing training courses, workshops, seminars, conference, discussions, dissertations consultancy services and exhibitions and to networking among scientific institutions and organizations at state, national and international level.
- GUJCOST has a network of 33 Community Science Centres (CSC) in 33 districts in the State along with 3000 plus School Science Clubs, functioning both at rural and urban areas.
- GUJCOST has designed and developing five Regional Science Museums (RSM) at Rajkot, Patan, Bhavnagar, Bhuj and Vadodara as S&T innovation hub for the next generation learners. Four RSMs are getting ready for public soon.
- Implementing the Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) Policy of Gujarat for science education, communication, research and development – both in basic sciences and applied sciences, promoting innovation and entrepreneurship spirit among large number of scientists, researchers and innovators in the State.
- Established 26 Supercomputer facilities in different Engineering and University Departments in the State to encourage research in frontier areas of Science & Technology.
- Established 20 Design Labs to encourage students to innovate and creative in STEM disciplines.
- Organize ROBOFEST-GUJARAT as an annual STEM programme to give a platform for young students to develop their own robots of different categories.
Organising a series of science programmes and outreach activities, including National Children Science Congress, Gujarat STEM Quiz, National Science Seminar for School Students, Vacation Training Programme for students and Citizen Science Programmes for promoting and practicing sustainability to achieve the SDGs for inclusive growth and development.
- Chaiman: Shri Vijay Nehra
- Adviser and Member Secretary: Narottam Sahoo