“To promote the development of magnetism and magnetic materials in Europe, through rising the visibility and the impact of research on fundamental and applied magnetism”
The purpose of the European Magnetism Association is to promote the development of magnetism and magnetic materials in Europe, through rising the visibility and the impact of research on fundamental and applied magnetism. EMA acts as an umbrella organization for activities in magnetism in Europe, giving magnetism a strong voice in the concert of physical sciences.
EMA addresses various purposes:
- Education and training in the field of magnetism
- Advancement in the understanding of magnetism, and dissemination of the results of magnetism research in Europe
- Developments in magnetism-related applications
- Promote links with companies active in magnetic materials and devices
- The representation of the magnetism community in science policy related affairs
- Interactions with the magnetism community worldwide
- Promotion of the relevance of carbon footprint reduction
- Promotion of career opportunities and equality among its members
Key actions of the European Magnetism Association include:
- The organization of the Joint European Magnetic Symposia (JEMS). This is the largest and most comprehensive conference on magnetism in Europe. JEMS focuses on a broad range of topics embracing applicative and fundamental aspects of magnetism, as well as novel magnetic materials.
- The organization of the European School on Magnetism (ESM). This is a biyearly event for the higher education of young European scientists in the field of Magnetism, also promoting networking and creating effective links between academics and the industry.
- The organization of online seminars to ensure the broad visibility of its members and their work, while maintaining a low carbon footprint. The series is a good opportunity to reflect on and otherwise encourage the geographical, thematic and gender diversity of the researchers working in the field of magnetism. The e-seminar series are streamed via Zoom and live-streamed on the EMA twitch channel. They are divided into two categories: Plenary lectures and early-career seminars.
- Contributing to the visibility and recognition of the community, through awards and connection with sister societies and actions.
- Promoting dissemination and networking through MAGNETISM.eu web site and a newsletter. We provide a comprehensive world-wide agenda of magnetism-related events, a market for posting job offers related to magnetism, news related to magnetism, and a broad-scope series of links. You may subscribe or unsubscribe from the newsletter.
- President: Burkard Hillebrands
- Vice President: Olivier Fruchart
- Treasurer: Elisabetta Agostinelli
- Secretary: Michal Staňo