The Role of Physics in Green Economy
During APPC conference, we will have a special session on 22 Aug. About 2-5pm, the topic is “The Role of Physics in Green Economy”.
This special session is to warn recent crisis of climate change especially to graduate students in physics who are the future owner of the Earth and who are responsible to keep the Earth as the best place for human beings. We will talk also about the role of physics to solve the current problems to encourage young physics graduate students seriously participate in the action of saving Earth.
Tentative program is as follows.
The Role of Physics for Green Economy
Aug. 22, 2pm-5pm Korean time (Might be 7am-10am in Italy)
1. Welcome remarks : Tae Won Noh (Pres. KPS) (5min)
2. Opening remarks & Introduction : Michel Spiro (Pres. IUPAP & IYBSSD) (20 min)
3. Climate Change : Andrew Turner (Univ. of Reading) or TBA (20min + 5min Q&A)
4. Nuclear Fusion : Kyung Soo Lee (Vice Pres. ITER) (20min + 5min Q&A)
5. Small Modular Reactor (SMR) : TBA
6. Solar Cells : William Jo (C4 member, IUPAP) (20min + 5min Q&A)
7. Smart Grid (Stat. Physics) : Jürgen Kurths (Potsdam Institute) (20min + 5min Q&A)
8. Panel Discussion (30 min) : Chairing by Michel Spiro
People in most of developing and under-developed countries in Asia have interest in their own welfare not environment yet. We need to help them realize that the climate change is not the problem of artic world but immediate threat to Asians also and of course to all human beings everywhere on the Earth. We will try efforts to invite news reporters and spread the words to physics education associations so that the next generation can realize the scientists’ contributions to solve this climate crisis.