30th Edition of Pan African Mathematics Olympiads
Mathematics is bot the basis of any educational program and at the forefront of major scientific and technological development.
Elsewhere in the world, the most successful companies – Google and Facebook, for example – recruit top maths graduates straight out of university to write the complex codes that define our experience of the digital world. From big data to artificial intelligence to intelligent cities and communities, the gears of prosperity are increasingly powered by mathematical algorithms.
Our aim by organizing PAMO’s regularly is to motivate our contestants, less than 20 years old, and convince them that, as science, mathematics is unavoidable and should play a fundamental role in solving problems in Science Technology and Innovation, which is essential for the development of the African continent.
The 30th Pan African Mathematical Olympiad PAMO (incorporating the Pan African Mathematical Olympiad for Girls PAMOG) will be held in French and in English.
Each country is entitled to send a team consisting of a Team Leader, a Deputy Leader and at most six official pupils (at most 3 boys & at most 3 girls).
The Problems Committee of the PAMO 2023 will include:
- As Chairman: The Mediator of PAMO 2023, Dr Karam Aloui, the Executive Secretary of the AMUPAMOC
- As members:
- The AMUPAMOC President: Prof Nouzha EL YACOUBI
- The PAMO 2023 LOC Chairperson: Ms Jessica Weitbrecht
- One invited International specialist of IMO : Prof Yongji Song, the team leader of South Korea and member of the International Mathematics Olympiads (IMO) Advisory Board.
- Two invited African specialists of PAMO and/or IMO as members of the PAMO 2023 Problems Committee: Prof Adewale Solarin (Past AMU President ‘2013-2017, and Past Chairperson of AMUPAMOC, Nigeria) and Dr Liam Baker (member of the AMUPAMOC and team leader of South Africa for IMO)
- Prof Dolinar Gregor, the IMO President of the Advisory board has accepted our invitation to take part as VIP
The Jury is composed of the AMUPAMOC President, the PAMO 2023 LOC Chairperson or a colleague from : the host country appointed to replace her, the PAMO 2023 Mediator, the member(s) of the AMUPAMOC from the host country (if applicable), and the team leaders of the participating countries.The invited specialists and the observers A may attend the Jury but do not have the right to vote. The Jury has the responsibility to select 12 problems (short list) from the long list recommended by the Problems Committee.
The Supervising Committee has the responsibility of choosing 6 problems from the 12 selected by the Jury for the current Olympiad.The Supervising Committee has responsibility for setting the question papers and resolving any problems of coordination.
The host country awards medals, prizes and certificates of participation
Medals for PAMO contestants: Gold Medals, Silver Medals and Bronze Medals will be awarded in approximately the ratio 1:2:3; the exact total point thresholds for each kind of medal will be decided by the Jury. The total number of medals awarded will not be more than half of the number of official contestants.
Medals for PAMOG contestants: Gold Medals, Silver Medals and Bronze Medals will be awarded in approximately the ratio 1:2:3; the exact total point thresholds for each kind of medal will be decided by the Jury. The total number of medals awarded will not be more than half of the number of official contestants. The top ranking female contestant by total number of points will be crowned “African Mathematics Queen 2023”
Medals for countries: countries will be ranked by taking the sum of the total scores of all their team members. The team leaders of the top three countries will be awarded Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals.