2021/2022 NSTF-South32 Awards for oustanding contributions to science, engineering, technology and innovation in South Africa
The NSTF Special Annual Theme Award: Basic Science for Sustainable Development is made for an outstanding contribution to science, engineering and technology (SET) and innovation from research and development in the basic sciences for sustainable development. This is in recognition of the declaration by UNESCO of the IYBSSD.
The Basic Sciences are defined as being: mathematics, physics, chemistry, life sciences, earth sciences and astronomy.
The scope of appointments could include:
* All areas of SET and innovation that contribute to the knowledge base that supports all areas of the economy in a sustainable manner in SA;
* Research and development which seeks to add to and builds on this knowledge base in SA.
* We restrict what the award embraces to the science, technology and engineering and related innovations which support the economy in a sustainable manner.
* Finding innovative solutions to challenges in the economy, including solutions based on indigenous knowledge systems (IKS) which are based on one or more of the basic sciences, directed towards sustainable development in South Africa, particularly for job creation and the alleviation of poverty will also be considered in this category.
* projects in mathematics, physics, chemistry, the life sciences, the earth sciences and astronomy and their interdisciplinary areas, in other words, any project that necessitates research in the basic sciences, including that research in the basic sciences which provides a means to solve a problem related to another area. Thus, research on the mechanisms of cell-cell interaction and its implications for combating disease would be a project within the scope of basic science.
The work can be theoretical, or practical, and should endeavor to include analyzes of the approximate or relative costs involved in commercializing the work. The International Year is an opportunity to raise awareness on how basic sciences can help end hunger, reduce poverty, protect the environment and boost economic development.
The Annual Theme Award can be awarded according to the criteria in any one of the other Awards categories, which are described in detail on separate pages and the respective nomination forms for each category.
In the last section of the nomination forms additional input is requested to the extent that is practical.
* Describe in what way the work and outputs described in the motivation are based on one or more of the basic sciences. A comprehensive description is needed and claims must be backed up with substantive information. Do not repeat what has already been set out in the main motivation, but some reference to the relevant information in the main motivation where applicable would be necessary.
* What further developments would be necessary for the outputs described to become innovations if they are not already? Are these new uses new applications or reconfigurations of older applications?
* Over and above what has been stated in the motivation, is there any possible further contribution to the economy from the SET work?
* To what extent does the work and outputs provide for ssocial inclusiveness, employment and poverty reduction?
* To what extent is the SET work resource efficient, and does it contribute to environmental protection and to the reduction of the effects of/on climate change?
* Describe to what extent the SET work contributes to the preservation of cultural values, supports diversity and respects heritage where applicable?
* Describe to what extent the SET work contributes to mutual understanding and peace and security?
* The nominator should endeavor to include analyzes of the approximate or relative costs involved in commercializing the work.
Follow the live stream of the event on the day.
Great salutation: we are one of the youth group that is going about to bring change in the industry of energy generation system. We have discovered a new way of generating electricity at a high rate with 0% energy loss and environmental harm. We would like to know how can IYBSSD help us in the part we are working on now. We are the students of cput, Cape Town.