The many ways in which academies can advance SDGs.
But as it is longer than this post, have a quick look about why you should take more time for SDGs.
The guide gives the result of a survey made in 2016/17 with national academies, national young academies and the Global Young Academy about how these organizations could support the SDGs. We won’t detail these results here (after all, we intend to convince you to read the guide yourself). We will just quote the summary they made.
In summary, routes by which academies can help support the SDGs include:
- participating in the annual UN STI Multi-stakeholder Forum;
- responding to the call for input to the Global Sustainable Development Report (GSDR);
- engaging with the UN Regional Commissions through regional academy networks;
- supporting the Voluntary National Review (VNR) process nationally;
- contributing to the development of national STI roadmaps/action plans;
- providing expertise to the science-based work of the various UN structures;
- contributing to consultations routed through the Major Group for S&T;
- participating in international research, monitoring and evaluation programmes;
- reflecting the SDGs in their own (inter)academy programmes and initiatives.
We just have a complementing suggestion: “Creating of participating to a national IYBSSD 2022 organizing committee.”