World Conference on Basic Sciences and Sustainable Development
The main aim of IYBSSD 2022 is to mobilize national, regional, and global scientific institutions to clearly demonstrate to the public and especially to political and business leaders worldwide how basic sciences are helping us to establish an inclusive, balanced, and sustainable development of the planet. The main message of the series of events is that basic research is the important initial link in the chain of research and development that can, only as a whole, make nature and society sustainable.
The initial event within IYBSSD 2022 was held on July 8, 2022 at the UNESCO Headquarters, in Paris, France, while the final event will take place at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), in Geneva, Switzerland, 6 Octonber 2023. One of the main events within the series of events will be the World Conference on Basic Sciences and Sustainable Development, to be held on September 19–22, 2022 in Belgrade, Serbia. The proposal was given by the World Academy of Art and Science and it was accepted by the Steering Committee of IYBSSD.
Special Session will be devoted to the latest report to The Club of Rome – Limits and Beyond. Sections 1–8 will include two sessions each and there will 67 talks in all the sessions. The Poster Section will include three sessions with three posters in each of them. The authors of the posters are nine laureates of the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science Award in Serbia.
Besides, two exhibitions will be going on during the Conference, prepared by Matica Srpska, the oldest Serbian cultural and scientific institution – on its past and present activities, and by L’Oréal, the world’s largest cosmetics company – on the sustainability of its present and future development and production, entitled L4TF. In addition, a concert will take place within the event – on September 21, 2022 in the National Museum in Belgrade.
Watch the conference.
Download the full report.
September 19, 2022, Monday, Day 0
- - 18:30–20:00
- “Limits and Beyond” – the latest report to The Club of Rome
- Carlos Álvarez Pereira, Vice-President, The Club of Rome - Ugo Bardi, The Club of Rome - Nebojša Nešković, The Club of Rome
- - 20:00–21:30
- Welcome reception
September 20, 2022, Tuesday, Day 1
- - 9:00–9:15
- Words of welcome
- Vladimir Kostić, President, Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- - 9:15–9:35
- Opening address
- Marijana Dukić Mijatović, State Secretary for Education, Science and Technological Development, Government of Serbia (to be confirmed)
- - 9:35–10:35
- Inaugural talks
- Ezra Clark, Director, Division of Science Policy and Capacity Building, National Sciences Sector, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), Paris, France - Michel Spiro, President of the Steering Committee, International Year of Basic Sciences for Sustainable Development (IYBSSD 2022) - Garry Jacobs, President and Chief Executive Officer, World Academy of Art and Science; Chairman of the Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer, World University Consortium
- - 11:00–14:20
- SECTION 1. IMPORTANCE OF BASIC SCIENCES FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
- - 15:15–19:00
- SECTION 2. ADVANCED BASIC RESEARCH IN MATHEMATICS AND PHYISCS
September 21, 2022, Wednesday, Day 2
- - 8:30-12:15
- SECTION 3. ADVANCED BASIC RESEARCH IN CHEMISTRY AND BIOLOGY
- - 12:15-16:05
- SECTION 4. ADVANCED MULTIPLE DISCIPLINARY BASIC RESEARCH
- - 16:30-19:00
- CONNECTIONS OF BASIC SCIENCES WITH OTHER SCIENCES, INNOVATION, AND ENGINEERING
September 22, 2022, Thursday, Day 3
- - 8:30-11:00
- SECTION 6. CONTRIBUTIONS OF BASIC SCIENCES TO MEDICINE, HEALTHCARE, AND WATER AND FOOD SECURITY
- - 11:25-14:20
- SECTION 7. CONNECTIONS OF BASIC SCIENCES WITH ENERGY TECHNOLOGIES, CLIMATE ACTION, AND PROTECTION OF THE ENVIRONMENT
- - 15:15-18:10
- SECTION 8. CONTRIBUTIONS OF BASIC SCIENCES TO ADVANCED EDUCATION
- - 18:10–18:55
- CONCLUDING SESSION
- Carlos Álvarez Pereira, Vice-President, The Club of Rome - Vladimir Kostić, President, Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts - Nebojša Nešković, Secretary General, World Academy of Art and Science; President, Serbian Chapter of the Club of Rome