“Advancing, promoting, and communicating knowledge of the Earth system, its space environment, and the dynamical processes causing change”
The International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics is dedicated to the international promotion and coordination of scientific studies of Earth (physical, chemical, and mathematical) and its environment in space.
These studies include:
- the shape of the Earth;
- its gravitational and magnetic fields;
- the dynamics of the Earth as a whole and of its component parts;
- the Earth’s internal structure, composition and tectonics;
- earthquakes and elastic wave propagation;
- the generation of magmas, volcanism and rock formation;
- the hydrological cycle including snow and ice;
- all aspects of the oceans;
- the atmosphere, ionosphere, magnetosphere and solar-terrestrial relations;
- analogous problems associated with the Moon and other planets.
IUGG encourages the application of this knowledge to societal needs, such as mineral resources, mitigation of natural hazards and environmental preservation.
IUGG is comprised of eight semi-autonomous Associations, each responsible for a specific range of topics or themes within the overall scope of Union activities:
- International Association of Cryospheric Sciences (IACS)
- International Association of Geodesy (IAG)
- International Association of Geomagnetism and Aeronomy (IAGA)
- International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS)
- International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences (IAMAS)
- International Association for the Physical Sciences of the Oceans (IAPSO)
- International Association of Seismology and Physics of the Earth’s Interior (IASPEI)
- International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth’s Interior (IAVCEI)
In addition, IUGG establishes inter-Association Commissions, and relationships with several other scientific bodies with similar interests.
IUGG is committed to the principle of free exchange of data and knowledge among nations, and encourages unreserved scientific participation by all peoples.
You can watch this video presentation of IUGG:
- President: Kathryn Whaler
- President Elect: Chris Rizos
- Secretary General: Alexander Rudloff
- Treasurer: Niels Andersen