“IMU is an international non-governmental and non-profit scientific organization, with the purpose of promoting international cooperation in mathematics.”
The objectives of the International Mathematical Union (IMU) are:
- to promote international cooperation in mathematics;
- to support and assist the International Congress of Mathematicians and other international scientific meetings or conferences;
- to encourage and support other international mathematical activities considered likely to contribute to the development of mathematical science in any of its aspects, pure, applied, or educational.
In addition to the IMU Executive Committee which administers the International Mathematical Union in general, various Committees and Commissions address specific issues on the IMU agenda.
The IMU commissions are:
The IMU Committees are
- President: Carlos E. Kenig
- Vice President: Nalini Joshi
- Vice President: Loyiso G. Nongxa
- Secretary General: Helge Holden